Sunday, January 19, 2014

How did Dad talk you into flying home with him?

"How did Dad talk you into flying home with him?" asked our son week or so ago.  Here's Jan's answer:
Hi, About a year ago Eric said "I put a refundable deposit on a Phoenix. Thought I'd give you some time to get used to the idea." Wasn't really crazy about the idea in the beginning. Then Ed flew his Phoenix here and gave me a ride. Of course, he made sure is was a very smooth and easy flight. Then we met up with the Owens at Parowan and Russ gave me a longer ride and his wife couldn't stop raving about how much fun they were having. Guess I've gotten used to the idea. I'm not at all interested in the soaring part, but getting from point A to B seems very efficient. We'll see how that goes. Eric says I can opt out (so to speak) at any time.  
I'm not surprised she's willing to try it; after all, we met because she had a sports car and participated in rallys and other sports car events. She says of the Phoenix, "it's like being in a sports car!".

Jan in the "sports car" with Russ Owens at Parowan, UT
For the 38 years I've been flying gliders, she's driven pickups, and then motorhomes, pulling a 30 foot glider trailer to track me down at some little airport I've landed at. She always seems to get there pretty quickly, apparently because “the motorhome just goes faster when the glider isn't in the trailer”. Hmm...

I know she is a little nervous about traveling in one, but she likes the fact that it can glide much farther than airplane so it can make it to an airport if the engine quits. Also, having it's own parachute to let it and it's occupants down safely if things go really wrong is big plus with her. I'm not expecting either of those things to happen, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, Russ's wife really likes his Phoenix. So glad you two will have one too, and I hope we do some travels together.

    Meanwhile, Eric, thanks for the detailed storytelling and explanations. Great job! Lynn

    ReplyDelete