Thursday, January 9, 2014

Why choose the Phoenix?

Why the Phoenix, and not a "regular" glider, like the one I already have? Here's what I have now, a Schleicher ASH 26 E:
My glider for the last 19 years: single seat, 60 foot span, all carbon fiber construction, 50:1 glide ratio - an amazing machine (photo by Russ Owens)
Not mine, but the same model under power - slow and only one hour of fuel (photo by Russ Owens)
About two years ago, after flying single-seat, high performance gliders for 35 years, I began to think it was time for something that was different, preferably smaller and lighter, a bit less trouble on the ground, and with greater range under power, so I could use soaring opportunities 100 miles, or even farther away, but still get home easily after the soaring quit.

I got interested in the Phoenix when a friend of mine ordered one. He had an ASH 26 E like I did, and flew even more aggressively, so I began thinking if he likes the Phoenix, maybe I would also. It is smaller and lighter, it's easier to handle on the ground and small enough to fit into a normal hangar (no trailer required), and it has twice the speed under power and four times the range under power - and two seats.

The more I thought about, the more attractive the extra seat became. It would let Jan and I travel in an entirely different way than our usual motorhome travel, carry friends and family on rides, and share soaring with other pilots. I can't do any of those things with the 26 E, and it seems like they would a lot of fun. And, of course, I could still go soaring in it by myself any time the weather permitted, just like now. So, I ordered one.

Since then, I've flown in a couple Phoenixes, making me wish I'd ordered one sooner!

Ed Walker's Phoenix

Note: Our Phoenix shipped from Bremerhaven as scheduled, due to arrive in Miami Jan 12. Check the "adventure schedule" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment